Ranking Methodology for Nurse Practitioner Programs 2023
In our commitment to guide students in selecting the most suitable Nurse Practitioner programs, we’ve developed a detailed and transparent ranking methodology. Our process is grounded in thorough research and analysis, focusing on factors crucial to the quality and value of Nurse Practitioner education.
Our data is meticulously gathered from:
- School Web Site
- The Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
- National Center for Education Statistics (NCES)
- U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Postsecondary Education (OPE)
- ANEP, CCNE, AANP
To be considered for ranking, Nurse Practitioner programs must be approved by either ACEN or CCNE.
|Regionally Accredited Institution||5%|
|Nursing Program Accreditation (ACEN, CCNE, AANP)||5%|
|NCLEX Passing Rate for 3-Years||15%|
|Number of Nurse Practitioner Offerings||20%|
|School Reputation Editorial||25%|
Detailed Factor Analysis
- Regionally Accredited Institution (5%): This accreditation ensures the institution meets high educational standards, crucial for a robust Nurse Practitioner education.
- Nursing Program Accreditation (ACEN, CCNE, AANP) (5%): CCNE accreditation signifies adherence to national standards for Nurse Practitioner education, ensuring quality and relevance.
- NCLEX Passing Rate for 3-Years (15%): Although NP students do not take the NCLEX, the passing rate is a proxy for the institution’s ability to prepare nursing students effectively.
- Affordability (30%): A major concern for students, affordability is assessed to balance quality education with reasonable costs, based on student surveys.
- Number of Nurse Practitioner Offerings (20%): Reflects the program’s curriculum breadth, a significant factor for students seeking specialized education.
- School Reputation Editorial (25%): Based on expert analysis of student feedback, nursing school webpages, and external rankings, providing a comprehensive view of each program’s reputation.
Methodology Validation and Updates
- Validation Through Student Surveys: Our methodology was refined based on student surveys, focusing on their priorities in a Nurse Practitioner program.
- Regular Updates: We update our rankings annually, aligning with the latest IPEDS and NCLEX data to ensure current and relevant information.
- Transparency and Continual Review: Regular reviews of our methodology maintain its relevance and accuracy, and we remain open to feedback for continuous improvement.
We understand that selecting a nursing program is a multi-faceted decision. Our rankings aim to provide a balanced perspective, combining quantitative data with qualitative assessments. We encourage students to use this as a starting point and conduct thorough personal research to find the program that best meets their needs.
Feedback: For comments, questions, or corrections, please contact us via our contact form.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
After graduating with a degree in English Literature from UCLA, Jeff published four editions of the World Wide Web Yellow Pages by Barnes and Noble, and several editions of the Best of the Web. He’s worked as an executive at both startup and mature companies including CareerPath.com and Microsoft. With nearly three decades of publishing and business development expertise, he now puts that experience to use operating RNCareers.org to help future nursing students get reliable information on registered nursing careers.