Located in Bowling Green, Western Kentucky University (WSU) is an inclusive public school with multiple academic program recognitions. WKU’s College of Health and Human Services which aims to be a leader in student-centered academic experience houses its School of Nursing and Allied Health.
LPN to ASN Program - This 61-hour program is designed for Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs) to obtain an Associate of Science in Nursing (ASN). To offer flexibility for students, it is offered with an online coursework, various scheduling options and customizable curriculum plan.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) Program - WKU students can obtain a BSN degree through two options—the traditional BSN and the Second-Degree program. The former is a full-time, upper division option with four semesters designed for students who have completed the prerequisite courses.
Meanwhile, the second degree entry option is for those who possess a non-nursing BS or BA degree. Program graduates are eligible to take the NCLEX-RN. In terms of the said exam’s passing rate, WKU has a five-year 95% average for first-time takers.
Master of Science in Nursing - WKU’s MSN degree is offered in one track, the Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP). This prepares students for the certification test, and provides them with the capabilities to offer healthcare to patients with mental health conditions and psychiatric illnesses.
Post-Master of Science in Nursing Certificate - The Post-Master Certification program is designed for students with a nursing master’s degree. It has two tracks—the Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) and the Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP). The former track leads to FNP certification exam eligibility.
Doctor of Nursing Practice - To obtain a DNP degree in WKU, two entry options are available--BSN to DNP or Post MSN to DNP. The former has two specialty concentrations—the 76-credit hour Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP), and the 63-credit hour Nurse Executive. Both concentrations as well as entry options can be taken either in a full-time or part-time course progression. Meanwhile, Post-MSN to DNP option is an evidence-based 36-credit hour curriculum building on the traditional master’s program.
The nursing school at Western Kentucky University-Bowling Green is a public institution located in Bowling Green, Kentucky. Its nursing programs are accredited by ACEN, ACME, CCNE and COA.
Degree types you can earn at Western Kentucky University-Bowling Green include Family Nurse Practitioner, Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner and Registered Nursing, and the school provides its offerings to students via campus, hybrid and online formats. The level of nursing programs offered to nursing students include APRN Certificate, Associate Degree, Bachelor Degree, BSN to DNP, Master Degree, MSN to DNP, Post Master's NP Certificate and RN to BSN level degrees.
For nursing students in Kentucky, the state average NCLEX-RN passing rate for ADN programs is 85.82% and for BSN programs is 89.07%. The average national NCLEX-RN passing rate for ADN programs is N/A% and for BSN programs is N/A%.
Out of 41 nursing schools in Kentucky, the nursing program at Western Kentucky University-Bowling Green ranks #6 in the state, and out of more than 1,700 nursing programs nationally, it ranks #111. It's 3-year average NCLEX-RN passing rate is 95.67%, giving the Western Kentucky University-Bowling Green an overall grade of A.
Nursing Program Stats at a Glance for Western Kentucky University-Bowling Green
- Grade: A
- NCLEX-RN Passing Rate Average: 95.67%
- Kentucky State Rank: 6
- National Rank: 111
Best Online Nursing Programs for Kentucky Students
In-state nursing schools are preferable to out-of-state programs as your tuition and logistics for attending school will be considerably less than if you attended school out-of-state. Online nursing schools are also an option.
Compare Kentucky Nursing School Rankings
|Compare Kentucky Nursing Schools||ADN||BSN|
|Number of Nursing Programs||26||19|
|Average NCLEX Passing Rate||85.82%||89.07%|
|NCLEX Passing Rate Range||66.70% to 98.00%||31.67% to 100.00%|
|Best Ranked School Details||ADN Rankings for Kentucky||BSN Rankings for Kentucky|
Western Kentucky University-Bowling Green
School of Nursing and Allied Health
- 1906 College Heights Blvd, Bowling Green, KY - 42101-1000
- (270) 745-0111
- NCLEX Passing Rate: (A) 95.67%
- Programs: Family Nurse Practitioner, Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, Registered Nursing
- Award Levels: APRN Certificate, Associate, Bachelor, BSN to DNP, MSN, MSN to DNP, Post Master's NP Certificate
- Total Faculty: 658
- In-State Undergraduate Tuition: $10,992
- Book and Supplies: $1,000
- Percent Received Aid: 98%
- Average Grant or Scholarship: $7,166
- Percent Admitted: 98%
- Percent Admitted who Enrolled: 37%
- Graduation Rate: 52%
Cities in Kentucky Offering Accredited Nursing Programs
If you are not finding the right nursing program in Bowling Green or want to compare nursing schools from other cities in Kentucky? Compare average NCLEX scores, in-state and out-of-state tuition costs as well as schools with strong alumni networks. The following is a list of cities in with accredited nursing programs in Kentucky: Ashland, Barbourville, Campbellsville, Crestview Hills, Elizabethtown, Frankfort, Grayson, Hazard, Highland Heights, Hopkinsville, Lexington, Louisville, Madisonville, Maysville, Midway, Morehead, Murray, Owensboro, Paducah, Pikeville, Prestonsburg and Somerset
Additional Nursing Programs in Kentucky
- Alice Lloyd College
- American National University
- Ashland Cmty. & Technical College-Ashland
- Beckfield College-Florence
- Bellarmine University
- Berea College
- Big Sandy Cmty. & Technical College-Prestonsburg
- Bluegrass Community and Technical College-Lexington
- Campbellsville University
- Eastern Kentucky University
- Elizabethtown Community & Technical College
- Galen College of Nursing-Louisville
- Gateway Community & Technical College-Edgewood
- Hazard Cmty. & Technical College-Hazard
- Henderson Cmty. College-Henderson
- Hopkinsville Community College - Hopkinsville
- Hussian College-Daymar College Bowling Green
- Jefferson Cmty. & Technical College-Louisville
- Kentucky Christian University
- Kentucky State University-Frankfort
- Lindsey Wilson College
- Madisonville Community College
- Maysville Community & Technical College
- Midway College-Midway
- Morehead State University
- Murray State University
- Northern Kentucky University
- Owensboro Community & Technical College
- Somerset Community College
- Southcentral Kentucky Community & Technical College - Bowling Green
- Southeast KY Cmty. & Technical College-Cumberland
- Spalding University
- Sullivan University
- Thomas More University
- Union College
- University of Kentucky
- University of Louisville-Louisville
- University of Pikeville-Pikeville
- University of the Cumberlands
- West Kentucky Community & Technical College-Paducah
- Western Kentucky University-Bowling Green
Learn About In-Demand Nursing Professions
Kentucky Nursing School Rankings
Back to RN Program Rankings in Kentucky
Best Nursing Schools in the US
Sources: The State Board of Nursing from Each State, U.S. Department of Education: College Scorecard, U.S. Department of Education – OPE, National Center for Education Statistics, Bureau of Labor Statistics