James Madison University is located in Harrisonburg, Virginia. JMU offers a traditional BSN degree and an online RN to BSN degree. The RN to BSN program can also be utilized for students looking to earn a second bachelor's degree. The program can be done full-time, in one year, or part-time, in two years.
James Madison University School of Nursing houses some of the country’s best nursing programs. The School of Nursing itself has been ranked as one of the nation’s and state’s best when it comes to quality education, learning resources, NCLEX pass rates, and job placements.
Students at James Madison University get the chance to be part of something bigger than themselves via different programs that promote global engagement, civic engagement, and community engagement. The School of Nursing also stands against all injustice and systemic racism. The students are taught to act with empathy and inclusiveness to reduce inequities such as discrimination, violence, and racism.
In addition to developing an accepting nature and advocacy, the nursing students are also provided with the opportunity to practice their clinical skills in the Simulation and Clinical Laboratories.
Undergraduate Programs: The BSN students at the James Madison University School of Nursing prepare for a career as a competent general nurse. The School of Nursing provides them with access to state-of-the-art classrooms, high-fidelity simulation labs, a diverse practical curriculum, and meaningful student-faculty interaction.
Additionally, there is also an RN to BSN program that provides a great flexible schedule for RNs who want to complete their BSN degree while also maintaining their employment. The students can choose to enroll full-time or part-time.
Graduate Programs: There is also a flexible and competitive MSN program that is available in multiple concentrations; Clinical Nurse Leader, Nurse Administrator, Family Nurse Practitioner, Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner, Nurse-Midwifery, and Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner.
Similarly, the innovative DNP program allows students access to an exceptional faculty with diverse backgrounds who prepare future leaders of healthcare. Students can choose full-time or part-time enrollment in this program.
The nursing school at James Madison University is a public institution located in Harrisonburg, Virginia. Its nursing programs are accredited by ACEN, ACME, CCNE and COA.
Degree types you can earn at James Madison University include Adult Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner, CNL, Family Nurse Practitioner and Registered Nursing, and the school provides its offerings to students via campus, hybrid and online formats. The level of nursing programs offered to nursing students include Bachelor Degree, Master Degree, MSN to DNP, RN to BSN and RN to MSN level degrees.
For nursing students in Virginia, the state average NCLEX-RN passing rate for ADN programs is 75.87% and for BSN programs is 89.83%. The average national NCLEX-RN passing rate for ADN programs is N/A% and for BSN programs is N/A%.
Out of 63 nursing schools in Virginia, the nursing program at James Madison University ranks #4 in the state, and out of more than 1,700 nursing programs nationally, it ranks #90. It's 3-year average NCLEX-RN passing rate is 96.20%, giving the James Madison University an overall grade of A.
Nursing Program Stats at a Glance for James Madison University
- Grade: A
- NCLEX-RN Passing Rate Average: 96.20%
- Virginia State Rank: 4
- National Rank: 90
Best Online Nursing Programs for Virginia Students
In-state nursing schools are preferable to out-of-state programs as your tuition and logistics for attending school will be considerably less than if you attended school out-of-state. Online nursing schools are also an option.
Compare Virginia Nursing School Rankings
|Compare Virginia Nursing Schools||ADN||BSN|
|Number of Nursing Programs||26||24|
|Average NCLEX Passing Rate||75.87%||89.83%|
|NCLEX Passing Rate Range||23.50% to 100.00%||59.47% to 98.00%|
|Best Ranked School Details||ADN Rankings for Virginia||BSN Rankings for Virginia|
James Madison University
- 800 South Main Street, Harrisonburg, VA - 22807
- (540) 568-6211
- NCLEX Passing Rate: (A) 96.20%
- Programs: Adult Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner, CNL, Family Nurse Practitioner, Registered Nursing
- Award Levels: Bachelor, MSN, MSN to DNP, RN to MSN
- Total Faculty: 1060
- In-State Undergraduate Tuition: $12,638
- Book and Supplies: $1,098
- Percent Received Aid: 60%
- Average Grant or Scholarship: $8,202
- Percent Admitted: 80%
- Percent Admitted who Enrolled: 23%
- Graduation Rate: 82%
Cities in Virginia Offering Accredited Nursing Programs
If you are not finding the right nursing program in Harrisonburg or want to compare nursing schools from other cities in Virginia? Compare average NCLEX scores, in-state and out-of-state tuition costs as well as schools with strong alumni networks. The following is a list of cities in with accredited nursing programs in Virginia: Abingdon, Alberta, Alexandria, Annandale, Arlington, Big Stone Gap, Charlottesville, Chesapeake, Chester, Clifton Forge, Dublin, Fairfax, Farmville, Franklin, Glen Allen, Glenns, Hampton, Harrisonburg, Locust Grove, Lynchburg, Martinsville, McLean, Norfolk, North Chesterfield, Petersburg, Radford, Reston, Richmond, Roanoke, Weyers Cave, Winchester, Wise and Wytheville
Additional Nursing Programs in Virginia
- American National University
- Averett University
- Averett University-Non-Traditional Programs
- Blue Ridge Community College
- Bluefield University
- Bon Secours Memorial College of Nursing
- Bryant & Stratton College-Richmond
- Bryant & Stratton College-Virginia Beach
- Centra College of Nursing
- Chamberlain College of Nursing
- Dabney S. Lancaster Community College
- Danville Community College
- Eastern Mennonite University
- ECPI University
- George Mason University
- Germanna Community College
- Global Health College
- Hampton University
- J. Sargeant Reynolds CC LPN to ADN (Evening)
- James Madison University
- Jefferson College of Health Sciences
- John Tyler Community College
- Liberty University
- Longwood University
- Lord Fairfax Comm Col-Fauquier
- Mary Baldwin University
- Marymount University
- Mountain Empire Community College
- New River Community College
- Norfolk State University
- Northern Virginia Community College
- Old Dominion University
- Patrick Henry Community College
- Paul D Camp Community College
- Piedmont Virginia Community College
- Radford University (Roanoke)
- Randolph-Macon College
- Rappahannock Community College
- Regent University
- Riverside College of Health Careers
- Sanford-Brown College-Tysons Corner
- Sentara College of Health Sciences
- Shenandoah University -Eleanor Wade Custer
- South University
- South University - Virginia Beach
- Southside Virginia Community College
- Southwest Virginia Community College
- Stratford University
- Strayer University-Virginia
- The University of Virginia's College at Wise
- Thomas Nelson Comm College - Historic Triangle Campus
- Tidewater Community College
- University of Lynchburg
- University of Mary Washington
- University of Phoenix-Northern Virginia Campus
- University of Virginia
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- Virginia Highlands Community College
- Virginia State University
- Virginia Western Community College
- Wytheville Community College
Learn About In-Demand Nursing Professions
Virginia Nursing School Rankings
Back to RN Program Rankings in Virginia
Best Nursing Schools in the US
Sources: The State Board of Nursing from Each State, U.S. Department of Education: College Scorecard, U.S. Department of Education – OPE, National Center for Education Statistics, Bureau of Labor Statistics